Avi Medical helps you with a herniated disc
In Germany, more than 100,000 people suffer a slipped disc every year.
In order to exclude long-term consequences, a comprehensive therapy is crucial in case of an eventuality. Our experienced doctors are at your side at all our locations.
What is a slipped disc?
A slipped disc is a pathological complication of the intervertebral discs. These "shock springs" of the spinal column are located between the individual vertebrae .
The individual intervertebral discs consist of an outer fibrous ring and an inner gelatinous core. In the case of a herniated disc, tears form in the outer fibrous ring and the inner gelatinous core emerges. The escaped tissue now presses on the nerves of the spinal cord, which damages them or even cuts them off completely. The result is severe pain and even sensory disturbances and paralysis .
At what point is it a slipped disc?
The herniated disc can be categorised into three stages depending on its extent. This results in different diagnoses. These are:
- the disc protrusion (intervertebral disc protrusion). The disc nucleus is only slightly displaced
- the disc prolapse (herniated disc). The disc nucleus is displaced and damaged in such a way that tissue leaks out
- the disc sequestrum. The exited disc tissue has completely lost the connection to the disc nucleus.
What are the triggers of a slipped disc?
Possible triggers of a herniated disc include:
- Natural age-related wear and tear (from the age of 20, the water content of the fibrous ring and gelatinous core decreases, making them more susceptible to injury).
- wrong movements (heavy lifting)
- Accidents (falls on the back)
What are the possible symptoms of a slipped disc?
The typical symptoms of a herniated disc are:
- stabbing, suddenly shooting pain
- Depending on the level at which the damaged intervertebral disc is located: pain in the neck with radiation into the arms, pain in the back or costal arches or pain in the lumbar region with radiation into the legs.
- Sensory disturbances such as tingling or numbness
- Muscle paralysis
- Reflex failure
- In the case of particularly severe incidents in the lumbar region: bladder and continence disorders, impotence, complete paralysis of the legs.
The treatment of a herniated disc at Avi Medical
The comprehensive treatment of a stroke begins with diagnostics. This helps to distinguish the acute emergency from simple back pain and includes:
- Preparation of anamnesis
- Reflex and sensitivity tests
- Functional test (stance, gait) and orthopaedic flexion tests
- in hospital: X-ray, MRI or CT of the spine
This is followed by a multimodal therapy that combines different approaches. This includes:
- Pain therapy
- Heat therapy
- for slight slipped discs: Strengthening the musculature
- Education and movement training (correct lifting, carrying, lying down)
- in emergency situations: Admission to hospital for surgical therapy
And to prevent a slipped disc from occurring in the first place - prevention is an important component for us at Avi Medical. This is made up of the following elements:
- sufficient exercise
- Back school
- regular examinations
- Maintaining a normal weight