Avi Medical helps you with forgetfulness
Forgetfulness is a disorder of long-term or short-term memory that affects millions of people in this country. Usually harmless, forgetfulness can also be a symptom of a serious disease - such as Alzheimer's disease. So start treating your forgetfulness as early as possible. Our experienced doctors will accompany you at all our locations.
What is forgetfulness?
Forgetfulness, also known medically as "amnesia", has numerous manifestations. These are:
- Anterograde amnesia. Affected persons are unable to generate new memories since an event in the past.
- Retrograde amnesia. Affected person no longer remembers things that occurred before an event in the past
- Global amnesia. Affected suffer from both anterograde and retrograde disorder
- Ekmnesia. Affected persons classify events incorrectly in terms of time
- Catathymic amnesia. Affected person forgets details of an event
- Dissociative amnesia. Affected persons lose their memory of a specific event (such as a traffic accident) due to a psychological or physical trauma.
At what point is it forgetfulness?
The most important question in the face of persistent forgetfulness: Is the disorder harmless or pathological? Memory tests that take into account the patient's level of education and age are helpful in making a reliable diagnosis.
What are the triggers of forgetfulness?
The most common triggers of forgetfulness include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Diseases affecting the blood supply to the brain (such as stroke)
- Inflammatory brain diseases (such as multiple sclerosis, herpes and measles diseases)
- Poisoning (e.g. through alcohol or drugs)
- Diseases associated with neural atrophy (such as Alzheimer's dementia or Parkinson's disease)
- certain types of epilepsy
- Vitamin or mineral deficiency
- Psychological stress
What are possible symptoms of forgetfulness?
Typical symptoms of forgetfulness include:
- the inability to remember specific periods of time, events or details
- The inability to correctly classify events in terms of time. Affected people experience the past as present
Treatment of forgetfulness at Avi Medical
The first step in the comprehensive treatment of your forgetfulness is diagnosis. For us at Avi Medical, this includes:
- the exclusion of serious physical illnesses (by taking a medical history and physical examinations)
The following targeted treatment varies depending on the trigger of the forgetfulness. It can therefore include training to maintain memory as well as medication and non-drug measures (such as exercise therapy).